Today we discuss how to shift into the most authentic and powerful version of ourselves.
There was a time in my life when I was in low gear. I was hanging out with the wrong people, doing things that I wasn’t proud of, and in relationships that were destined to create hell on earth. But, I finally got to the point where I began to spin my wheels and look for a way out.
Can you relate to any of that? Have you ever felt that you weren’t living in alignment with who you are, or that the best version of yourself was buried somewhere deep inside you? I’m sure you have. When I started looking for a way out, I came to a realization… I had to go within my own self and acknowledge what in me needed to change, develop, and grow.
My first guest, Kyle Bryant, is the founder and director of the bicycle ride fundraiser, rideATAXIA for the Friedreich’s Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA). He joins me today to share his journey with the rare degenerative neurological disease, Friedreich’s Ataxia, and how he was able to change his thinking to live a joyful and productive life despite any challenges. Kyle provides powerful insight on how to overcome our minds no matter what the circumstance is so that we can step into high gear.
My second guest, Bill Treasurer, is a bestselling author, leadership consultant, and founder of Giant Leap Consulting, a courage-building company. He joins me today to talk about how to activate our courage and the process of modulating between comfort and discomfort to convert fearful feelings into feelings of excitement. Bill also shares the three different behavioral expressions of courage and how we can assess where we may be playing it too safe in our lives.
- How to shift into high gear and become the best possible version of ourselves
- Going within to determine what we need to let go of and what needs to change
- Learning to not blame ourselves for the cards we’re dealt and how to move forward
- Staying positive through pain, struggle, and both mental and physical challenges
- The importance of having goals and putting all of our energy into accomplishing them
- Changing our thinking about the challenges that we face and facing them objectively
- The mere-exposure effect and how it can be used to gain confidence and overcome fears
- Modulating between comfort and discomfort to convert fearful feelings into excitement
- Why courage is about being fearful and still moving forward rather than trying to be fearless
- 3 behavioral expressions of courage and how we can use them to become more courageous
“Life is all about how we react to what happens to us. Challenging situations force us to find the good in life because we can’t just dwell on all the bad things that are happening.” – Kyle Bryant
Kyle Bryant is the founder and director of the bicycle ride fundraiser, rideATAXIA for the Friedreich’s Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA).
rideATAXIA is currently held annually in 6 locations and has raised over $7 million for Friedreich’s ataxia (FA) research since 2007.
FA is a rare neuromuscular disease that currently has no treatment or cure.
Despite his diagnosis of FA at the age of 17, Kyle has completed numerous long-distance bike rides including “The World’s Toughest Bike Race,” Race Across America in 2010, as part of 4-man Team FARA which is the subject of the documentary The Ataxian.
Kyle is the co-host of the Two Disabled Dudes Podcast. His memoir was released in 2019 – Shifting Into High Gear chronicles his first ride across the country when he was coming to grips with his rare disease diagnosis.
Bill Treasurer is a bestselling author, leadership consultant, and the Chief Encouragement Officer (CEO) of Giant Leap Consulting, Inc.
Prior to founding Giant Leap Consulting, Bill served as an executive in Accenture’s change management and human performance practice, eventually becoming the $35 billion company’s first full-time internal executive coach.
His Courageous Leadership workshops have been taught to thousands of executives in eleven countries on five continents.
Bill is the author of the international best-seller, Courage Goes To Work, which introduced the new management practice of courage-building and Leaders Open Doors, which became the #1 leadership training book on Amazon.
All royalties from Leaders Open Doors are donated to programs that support kids with special needs.
For more than two decades, Bill has designed leadership and succession programs for emerging and experienced leaders from such organizations as NASA, Saks Fifth Avenue, UBS Bank, Walsh Construction, Spanx, the Pittsburgh Pirates, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, and many others.
He holds a Master’s degree from the University of Wisconsin and a Bachelor’s degree from West Virginia University where he attended school on a full athletic scholarship. In addition to being an author & a business owner, Bill is a former U.S. High Diving Team captain, a cancer survivor, and the father of three children.
“We think that courage is reserved for heroes, but there’s a more tempered, everyday experience of courage that is accessible to all of us.” – Bill Treasurer
Check out the video below to watch our interview:
- Friedreich’s Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA)
- Shifting Into High Gear: One Man’s Grave Diagnosis and the Epic Bike Ride That Taught Him What Matters
- The Ataxian Movie
- Two Disabled Dudes Podcast
- Giant Leap Consulting
- Courage Goes to Work: How to Build Backbones, Boost Performance, and Get Results
- The Leadership Killer: Reclaiming Humility in an Age of Arrogance
- Risk Right: 10 Powerful Principles for Taking Giant Leaps With Your Life
- Wasabi Publicity
- CouragetoChange.us/Invite – Become a member of Ken D Foster’s book development team for the launch of his 7th book and share in how it’s done!
- The Courage to Change Everything: Strategies and Wisdom to Transform Your Life One Day at a Time
- Learn More About Host Ken D. Foster